Historical Towns Directory

By clicking on a state or territory on the map, you can access a regional guide to Australia's historic towns, including a wealth of information about organizations, museums and locations.

We invite organisations to submit information for inclusion on this site. Please click here to email your information to the Directory Editor, Ros Stirling.

AND/OR

 Sale

Find Sale

Sale, at the entrance to the Gippsland Lakes around 212 kilometres east of Melbourne, was explored by both Angus McMillan and Paul Strzelecki in about 1840. In 1844 the first white settler, Archibald McIntosh, set up his 'Flooding Creek' run. He also established a forge, store and butcher's shop on the early settlement. In 1851 the settlement was renamed Sale, after British Army officer Sir Robert Sale.

Located between the Omeo goldfields and Port Albert, Gippsland's major port at that time, Sale served as a convenient base for the fields until the railways were established in the 1870s and 1880s.

Swing Bridge, Sale (courtesy Wellington Shire Council)

In 1861 the inaugural Gippsland Times newspaper was published, the courthouse first sat in 1864 and the first Star Hotel and Criterion Hotel were erected in 1865. The Criterion is now one of Gippsland's oldest hotels while the brick and slate roofed courthouse is now part of the larger Foster Street complex.

Sale was declared a borough in 1863. Cobb & Co ran their first Melbourne-Sale road coach services in 1865. Their stables, dating back to the 1870s are still in existence.

In the 1870s the Latrobe Wharf was constructed. A 45 metre swing bridge (1883), launching ramp and high wharf were also added as plans to establish Sale as a port began in earnest in the 1880s. The swing bridge was designed by John Grainger (whose son was the Australian pianist and composer Percy Granger) and was the state's first moveable bridge. During its operation from the 1880s to the 1930s the bridge opened up to twenty times a day by pivoting on its central columns to allow steamers to pass to and from the port. The formation of the Sale Canal began in 1886 and when it was completed it joined Sale to the sea via the Thomson River and Gippsland Lakes.

Powder Magazine, Sale (courtesy Wellington Shire Council)

Sale (current population 13,800) was proclaimed a town in 1924 and a city in 1950.

Sale & District Family History Group Inc
Information: The Group (founded 1987) aims to promote and assist in the research of family histories in Australia and abroad; and to compile and publish a record of pioneers in the district.
Events: 'The Family Link' edited by Naomi McDonald. Publications for sale include: Sale Cemetery Headstone Transcriptions (microfiche); Stratford Cemetery Photo Register (CD); Heyfield, Brialong, Glenmaggie & Toongabbie Cemeteries (CD); and Newspaper - Gap & Echoes (CD)
President Phone: 03 5144 1421
Contact: Mrs Glenys Wain (President)
Address:

PO Box 773
Sale VIC 3850

   
Sale & District Family History Group Inc - Research Room
Information: Resources in the Research Room include books, microfiche and CDs. Opening hours are 1pm to 4pm Tuesdays and 10am to 4pm Fridays.
Address:

'Old Temperence Hall', Macalister St
Sale VIC 3850

   
Wellington Visitor Information Centre - Sale
Information: Open 7 days 9am to 5pm.
Phone: 1800 677 520
Fax: 03 5144 1108
Address:

8 Foster Street
Sale VIC 3850

Website: http://www.tourismwellington.com.au/
   
  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
VERSION

 

Articles

Index of all
Australian Heritage articles