Historical Towns Directory

By clicking on a state or territory on the map, you can access a regional guide to Australia's historic towns, including a wealth of information about organizations, museums and locations.

We invite organisations to submit information for inclusion on this site. Please click here to email your information to the Directory Editor, Ros Stirling.

AND/OR

 Steiglitz

Find Steiglitz

A thriving goldmining township in the 1800s, Steiglitz is today barely more than a ghost town.

Steiglitz Inn (courtesy Steiglitz Historical Society Inc)

The area was first settled by Europeans when Charles and Robert von Steiglitz took up a squatting run in 1847. Six years later the first alluvial gold was discovered on their land but it was not until two years later, in 1855, when a rich gold seam was found of Sutherland Creek that a gold rush began.

In 1858 a wooden courthouse was constructed in the goldmining town. This building was replaced by a red brick courthouse in 1874-75. Steiglitzís second courthouse is still standing today but has long since ceased to be used for its original purpose.

Harry Ellis Drapers shop and house (courtesy Steiglitz Historical Society Inc)

Steiglitz grew into a township of over 1,500 people in the 1860s and at its peak during this decade contained four hotels, various shops and a newspaper.

The townís population diminished during the latter 1870s, corresponding with a decline in the profitability of the local gold mining industry.

Steiglitz Courthouse (courtesy Steiglitz Historical Society Inc)

The introduction of new technology to process the old mine tailings in the 1890s briefly reversed the Steiglitzís waning fortunes as its population climbed to around 2,000 people. By 1896, however, this renewed activity was already declining.

During the 20th century Steiglitzís population continued to diminish. Its last substantial mine ceased operations in 1941.

Now a ghost town situated approximately 80 kilometres west of Melbourne by road, Steiglitz is today preserved as the Steiglitz Historic Park, which was proclaimed in 1979.

Steiglitz Historical Society Inc
Information: The Society aims to preserve, research and display manuscripts, documents, photogrpahs, objects and the oral history of Steiglitz and surrounding districts for the benefit of future generations. Founded 1999.
Publications: Historical news - a small (4 page) newsletter.
Events: The Society holds its meetings on the last Saturday of the month in January, March, May, July, September and November at 2pm.
Contact: Mrs S Dynon (President); Ms G Louchlen-Palmer (Secretary)
Phone: 03 9315 3018
Address:

PO Box 187
Yarraville VIC 3013

Email: steiglitzg@optusnet.com.au
Website: http://www.geocities.com/lightly67/index.html
   
  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
VERSION

 

Articles

Index of all
Australian Heritage articles