Historical Towns Directory

By clicking on a state or territory on the map, you can access a regional guide to Australia's historic towns, including a wealth of information about organizations, museums and locations.

We invite organisations to submit information for inclusion on this site. Please click here to email your information to the Directory Editor, Ros Stirling.

AND/OR

 Inglewood

Find Inglewood

European exploration of the Inglewood area began in 1836 when Major Mitchell and party travelled through the district.

Chancery Lane, Inglewood, circa 1862 (courtesy Inglewood District Historical Society Inc)

Expansive pastoral runs had been established in the area by 1840, with the Brenanah and Glenalbyn properties being taken up in the immediate area of current-day Inglewood. In 1853 the Reverend William Hall bought these two stations, renaming a portion of Glenalbyn 'Inglewood' as it reminded him of his English birthplace.

Joseph, Alexander and Thomas Thompson – Hall's nephews – found gold at Inglewood in November 1859 and a rush to the area ensued. At Hall's insistence the mining town that developed was named Inglewood, though the fields were commonly known as Hall's Diggings.

Courthouse (courtesy Jeanette Schultz)

A second goldfield was discovered early in 1860 and the town of 'New Inglewood' grew up at this site. This is the location of the modern-day town.

The population of the goldfields at Old Inglewood and New Inglewood is thought to have reached a peak of around 35,000 people. While the goldfields were soon exhausted of their alluvial gold deposits, reef mining in the area proved to be lucrative.

Post Office (courtesy Jeanette Schultz)

In 1860 the town of Inglewood was surveyed. A local council was formed in 1861.

The courthouse was constructed in 1860 to a design by Alfred T Snow of the Public Works Department. The Victorian Free Classical-style building is today the second oldest remaining in Victoria of a group of buildings erected in this style between 1860 and 1874.

Roman Catholic Church, Inglewood (courtesy Jeanette Schultz)

A fire swept through the town in December 1862, destroying a significant number of buildings, including ten public houses.

St Augustine's Anglican Church was constructed to an Early English design in 1864 and extended in Decorated Gothic-style 20 years later. The church and its pipe organ, built by George Fincham in 1878, have both been classified by the National Trust.

Inglewood Town Hall (courtesy Jeanette Schultz)

Inglewood's town hall, which features a chiming clock, was constructed in 1887.

In the late 19th century a eucalyptus distillery opened in the town. The Blue Mallee eucalyptus oil industry continues in Inglewood today.

In 1909 Sir Reginald Ansett, who founded Ansett Airlines in 1936, was born at Inglewood. The town was also the childhood home of the 'Blue Flash', Jack Donaldson, who held every professional sprint world record in the 1930s.

Inglewood is located on the Calder Highway, 45 kilometres north-west of Bendigo and 195 kilometres north-west of Melbourne.

Inglewood District Historical Society Inc
Information: The Society aims to collect and record the history of Inglewood and the surrounding district; and to help students with assignments and people with family history enquiries (a fee applies for family history research). More than 350 families have already been helped with family research by the Society. Members also publish local history books, which are for sale. Founded 1983.
Publications: Publications for sale include: 'Brief History of Inglewood' by Ian Weymss; 'Our Boys Letters from the Front' (Boer War) by Haword Rochester; 'Inglewood in the 50's and 60's' (1850s and 1860s) by Kevin Poyser; 'Inglewood Town Hall Centenary' by Arthur Treble (1983); 'Back to Inglewood 2004' by Howard Rochester'; 'Inglewood Fire Brigade 1861-1961' by Dern Marryott Puckey; 'Inglewood Cemetery Records' by Arthur Treble; 'Inglewood in the Scrub' by I.D.H.S. 2000; 'Rheola 1870-1985' by Ronald Leslie Carless. Books can be purchased at the Inglewood Newsagency or by post. See Society website for prices.
Events: The Old Inglewood Courthouse is open on request for groups; court re-enactments are held regularly for interested groups and organised bus tours - a fee applies.
President Phone: 03 5438 3057
Secretary Phone: 03 5438 3169
Contact: Howard Rochester (President); Lynette Rose (Secretary)
Phone: 03 5438 3073
Address:

13 Tarnagulla Rd
Inglewood VIC 3517

Email: historicalsociety@inglewood.vic.au
Website: http://inglewood.vic.au/historical-society
   
Inglewood District Historical Society Inc Museum
Information: Contains some local artefacts but is mainly comprised of local photographs and printed material, such as the Inglewood Advertiser on microfilm from 1861-1963 as well as some Borough rate and minute books. Open by appointment only.
Phone: 03 5438 3073 (if not in, leave message)
Address:

Old Courthouse, Southey Street
Inglewood VIC

   
  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
VERSION

 

Articles

Index of all
Australian Heritage articles