Historical Towns Directory

By clicking on a state or territory on the map, you can access a regional guide to Australia's historic towns, including a wealth of information about organizations, museums and locations.

We invite organisations to submit information for inclusion on this site. Please click here to email your information to the Directory Editor, Ros Stirling.

AND/OR

 Nebo

Find Nebo

Long before European settlement of the Nebo area, the land was inhabited by five main Aboriginal tribes Barada, Barna, Biria, Jangga and Wiri.

The earliest European record of the presence of Aboriginal people in the district was made by Ludwig Leichhardt, who became the first European to explore the area when he passed through in 1845. Leichhardt was followed into the region by William Landsborough, who named local landmarks such as Nebo Creek in 1856.

In the 1860s a teamsters and travellers camp developed alongside a crossing place on Nebo Creek, at the intersection of the main east-west and north-south tracks.

The Fort Cooper Hotel began trading from a slab building at the site in 1862. First licensed in 1863, the hotel was rebuilt in 1886 and continued to trade under that name until it became the Nebo Hotel in 1948. The timber and iron hotel is today heritage listed.

Nebo Hotel (courtesy Nebo Shire Council)

In 1865 a survey was made of a town named Fort Cooper, after the nearby Mt Fort Cooper. The town's name was changed to Nebo, after the creek and in line with popular usage, in 1923.

Fort Cooper soon developed as a service centre for the surrounding pastoral area and also serviced the Mt Britton gold mine from the 1880s.

The Nebo area's early pastoral development focused on sheep, but as sheep were found unsuitable for the district, cattle became the main focus of the area. Beef cattle breeding and fattening has continued as the main industry of the Nebo Shire for many years.

The old Post Office in Nebo opened in 1867 and operated from its main street site until the mid 1990s.

Snow's Place, a corrugated iron house that is more than 100 years old, was originally built at the edge of a stock route. The house, in Reynolds Street, is named after retired drover 'Snow' Burgess, whose family occupied the house for around 60 years before it was sold to the Nebo Shire Council in 2000.

Slab hut at the Nebo Museum (courtesy Nebo Shire Council)

Nebo's second Hotel, the Oxford Hotel, was originally located at the Mt Britton gold fields, but was re-sited to Nebo in 1902. After the hotel was de-licensed the building was dismantled.

Nebo has today adopted the theme of 'Historic Nebo Delight in our Diversity'. Historic attractions in the town include the Nebo Museum, Centenary Park (where the Oxford Hotel once stood), the Nebo Creek Cultural Boardwalk, the Pioneer Tracks of Queensland Gallery and the Historic Nebo Monument.

Nebo Museum
Information: The Museum is the result of locals working together to produce a tribute to the pioneers of the past. Displays include a slab hut and the original courthouse and gaol. It also houses extensive historical records of the area. Open 9am to 3pm Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays or after hours by appointment. Admission $3 for adults and $1 for children.
Phone: 07 4950 5471 (Museum); 07 4950 5133 (Council)
Address:

Peak Downs Highway
Nebo QLD 4742

   
  PRINTER-FRIENDLY
VERSION

 

Articles

Index of all
Australian Heritage articles