| Find Pitt Town
Pitt Town, on the Hawkesbury , was one of the original planned settlements outside Sydney. It was named after British politician William Pitt.
Together with Richmond, Wilberforce, Windsor and Castlereagh, Pitt Town formed one of the five 'Macquarie Towns'. These towns were set up by Governor Macquarie in 1810 on higher ground after the region had experienced serious flooding the previous year.
The settlement at Pitt Town grew slowly and there were only 36 houses on the townsite by 1841.
The Blighton Arms hotel was established early in the town's history. The inn's licence was taken away in 1819 but the business was re-opened as the Macquarie Arms in 1830.
Bona Vista (1888) is a 19th century residence remaining in the town today.
The stone St James' Anglican Church (1857-58) was designed in Early English-style by Edmund Blacket. Scots Presbyterian Church was constructed in 1862. Both are still standing.
Pitt Town was first known for its market gardens and orchards which supplied the Sydney markets. Turf farming is a more recent industry that has developed in the area.