Occupied by the Dharug Aboriginal people for many thousands of years prior to European settlement, The Blacktown area was soon reached by Europeans after the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788, with the first land grants being made here in 1791.
The establishment of farms in the district brought the indigenous inhabitants and the white settlers into conflict with each other and the combination of introduced diseases and the superior weaponry of the Europeans saw the Aboriginal population of the Sydney area decimated in a matter of just a few short years.
Some of the surviving Aborigines were taught European farming techniques. A school was initially set up for the Aborigines at Parramatta in 1814 but this was moved further west in the 1820s as that area became more densely settled. The school and the area around it at the new site were known as ‘Black’s Town’, and it is from a derivation of this that the City of Blacktown was named.
The railway reached Blacktown in 1860 and in 1862 the first Post Office was opened at the railway station.
The Shire of Blacktown was formed in 1906; in 1961 Blacktown became a municipality; and in 1979 the City of Blacktown was declared.
The City of Blacktown is today comprised of 45 suburbs and is located around 35 kilometres from Sydney.