| Find Deniliquin
Deniliquin is located on the Edward River 737 kilometres from Sydney in the heart of Australia's largest irrigation area.
The indigenous Birrapa Birrapa and Wamba Wamba peoples inhabited the area prior to European settlement. The town's name is believed to derive from 'Denilakoon', the name of a local Aboriginal leader.
The 'Deniliquin' run, around 6.5 kilometres from the modern-day town, was taken up by Benjamin Boyd circa 1842.
A townsite called 'The Sandhills' was surveyed in 1848, by which time the Wanderer Inn (1845) had been established and a punt was operating across the river. The town was formally gazetted as Deniliquin in 1850.
|Deniliquin Courthouse (courtesy Peppin Heritage Centre)
In 1856 a gaol was constructed. The first court was replaced in 1861. From 1883-87 a Victorian classical courthouse was constructed to a design created by James Barnet.
In 1858 English sheep breeders, George Hall Peppin and his two sons, took up Wanganella run. It was here that they furthered the Australian wool industry by developing a breed of merino sheep more suited to the Australian conditions and producing a greater quantity and quality of wool. Around 90 per cent of Australia's merino sheep now contain some Wanganella blood.
The first bridge connecting the northern and southern sections of the town was built across the Edward River in 1861. This was also the year that the first hospital (1856) and the second hospital (1858) merged. The current hospital complex still retains the original structure.
In 1868 Deniliquin became a municipality.
A private rail connection from Echuca reached Deniliquin in 1876. A town hall was also built that year.
In 1879 the Old George Street Public School was constructed. The earlier schoolhouse (1862) was no longer big enough to accommodate the growing population and became the teacher's house. The school buildings now house the Peppin Heritage Centre, named in honour of the Peppin family.
|Peppin Heritage Centre, Deniliquin (courtesy Peppin Heritage Centre)
Deniliquin continued to develop as a centre of rural industry throughout the 1900s. High-water crops, especially rice, are now a focus of the district and Deniliquin is home to the largest rice mill in the Southern Hemisphere.
According to the 2001 Census Deniliquin had a population of 7786 people.