| Find West Wyalong
West Wyalong is a former goldmining settlement located at the intersection of the Mid Western and Newell Highways.
In 1818 John Oxley was the first white explorer to visit the area.
Squatters arrived in 1833 and named the region 'The Blands'.
Gold was found on the Neeld family property in 1893. By May the next year 12,000 prospectors had arrived to try their luck at the field. The number had reduced by almost two thirds by the end of 1894.
In 1894 the town of Wyalong was officially laid out. The diggers, however, would not be relocated from their Main Camp settlement, west of Wyalong, which was the location of the White Tank water supply, as well as most of the mines. Thus West Wyalong was laid out at this site in 1895. Its crooked main street still follows the path of an old bullock track which wound around the diggings.
|Main Street, West Wyalong, 1920 (courtesy Bland District Historical Society)
West Wyalong's first brick building, the Tattersalls Hotel, was built in 1894 and is still run by descendants of the original proprietors today.
In 1899 Wyalong became a municipality and gained council chambers, school of arts, post office and courthouse. All are still standing.
1899 was also the year that the local fields were declared the most productive in New South Wales.
When the railway arrived in 1903 it passed between the two rival towns in an area that then became known as Wyalong Central.
The gold fields were gradually exhausted and mining operations ended in 1921. Mine tailings were reprocessed during the 1930s.
Industries such as wheat and grains, sheep, cattle, pigs and fodder crops developed in the surrounding district in the early 1900s. A Eucalyptus oil industry began in 1907.
|West Wyalong Museum, built in 1902 (courtesy Bland District Historical Society)
In 1935 Wyalong, West Wyalong and Wyalong Central were amalgamated by government proclamation. The merged town is now an important centre in the Bland Shire. It also contains a number of historic buildings.