| Find Condobolin
Condobolin, on the banks of the Lachlan River 475 kilometres west of Sydney, is located in the centre of a cattle, sheep and wheat producing district.
The name Condobolin has evolved from the Aboriginal word Cundabullen – shallow crossing. The crossing was located a short distance below the junction of the Lachlan River and the Goobang Creek. It was used extensively, early in the 19th century, by drovers and teamsters moving stock and produce from the stations from the north and west to the growing markets of Melbourne. Thus from this river ford and popular camp site there grew the town of Condobolin.
Explorers John Oxley (1817) and Thomas Mitchell (1836) were the first recorded European presence in the region.
Squatters soon arrived and by 1844 the 'Condoublin' run had been established.
In 1859 the town was gazetted on land that had previously been reserved on the station.
Closer settlement of the area began in 1880 when the large runs began to be broken up into smaller holdings.
In 1896 gold was discovered north-west of town.
Condobolin gained a rail connection in 1898.