| Find Wallabadah
The area surrounding Wallabadah was originally known as 'Thalababuri' by the Kamilaroi Aboriginal people, who inhabited the area prior to white settlement
European squatters arrived in the region in about 1830. Wallabadah Station was established on 44,000 acres of land in 1835. A homestead constructed in 1900 is still standing just east of Wallabadah.
A settlement began to develop at the townsite during the 1850s and was located at the intersection of two mail runs. Bushranger Captain Thunderbolt took advantage of this fact in 1867 when he robbed the northern mail coach at Wallabadah.
In 1852 the first, and now oldest, Australian country racing club was founded. The racecourse was established at the current location in 1898.
The town was initially larger than Quirindi (15 kilometres west of Wallabadah) but when Quirindi gained a rail connection in 1877 Wallabadah's development was halted.
A glimpse into the town's progression is evident in a few historical buildings throughout Wallabadah. The Marshall MacMahon Hotel was constructed circa 1867 and a public school opened in 1879 with the residence dating from 1898. In 1896 the Anglican Church of Ascension was established while the Catholic Church was constructed in 1910.
|Headstones in First Fleet Memorial Gardens, Wallabadah (courtesy Liverpool Plains Shire Council)
After World War II Wallabadah was used as a soldier settlement site.