Founded in December 2000, and conducted under the auspices of the Australian National Commission for UNESCO, the Australian Memory of the World program is one of over 60 Memory of the World programs worldwide. The Australian program aims to:
* develop the Australian Memory of the World Register
* establish a Register of lost and missing Australian documentary heritage
* propose nominations to the Memory of the World International Register
* promote the Program through publications and presentations
* encourage and seek government and private sector sponsorship for specific projects and activities.