We welcome contributions for assessment here.
Conservation project throws new light on Cascades Female Factory
Results of major conservation works in a previously derelict yard at the Cascades Female Factory in South Hobart, revealing evidence of a kitchen, washhouse, nursery apartments for babies and mothers, and Matrons' accommodation in this newly-explored yard.
Yard four of the historic site was constructed in the 1850s. The various yards were used for institutional purposes after the Female Factory closed in 1856, and then subdivided and sold in the early 20th century.
The rear section of yard four, behind the Matrons Cottage, was used as an industrial services yard until it was bought back into public ownership in 2007.
The next stage of this project will see interpretive equipment installed, to further bring history to life.
The Female Factory is World Heritage-listed, and arguably the most significant site associated with female convicts anywhere in Australia.
The project in yard four has been an initiative of the Port Arthur Historic Site Management Authority (PAHSMA), which assumed management from the community-based Female Factory Ltd in 2011.
The yard is one of eleven sites included in the Australian World Heritage Convict Sites property.
An interesting feature of the project has been the re-opening of a door between yards 3 and 4, which has probably been closed for more than a century.
The project was managed by PAHSMA, designed by Susan Small Landscape Architects and constructed by Jonathan Hearn Landscape Design & Construction.
The Cascades Female Factory is open daily, and offers a range of tours - including the theatrical walking tour 'Her Story'.
home|magazine|events|historical towns|links|news|contact us
||©2013 Heritage Australia Publishing|