Home to the Gringai clan of the Wanaruah Aboriginal tribe prior to the arrival of Europeans in 1821, when timber getters arrived and began logging the large stands of cedar in the forests here.
Land was first granted in the district in 1826 and many of the early settlers – including two of the men who received the original grants – were of Welsh origin.
The first grape vines were planted in the late 1820s and following the arrival of Henry Lindeman in 1841 the local wine industry took off and wine from the Gresford area was even exported on the international market. By the end of the 19th century, however, the industry had taken a dramatic downturn due to the combined forces of drought, disease and market forces.
Gresford’s wine industry has recently experienced a resurgence with the emergence of the boutique wine industry in the 1990s.
Gresford and East Gresford are today two small townships located only two kilometres apart and over 190km north of Sydney. St Helen’s Catholic Church in East Gresford was built in 1867 to a design by Edmund Blacket while St Anne’s Anglican Church is a brick building of Early English design constructed in 1898-99.